1911 - 1991
Kanei was the first-born son of Uechi Kanbun. He lived with his
mother in Izumi, Motobu, in northern Okinawa until 1927. Then, at
age sixteen, he moved to Wakayama to be with his father. Uechi Kanei
studied Pan Gai Noon under his father's guidance for 10 years. In
1937, he opened his first dojo. In 1939, just as World War II began,
Uechi Kanei married. In 1940, he began to teach out of his home,
calling his dojo the Uechi Ryu Karate-Jutsu Institute, effectively
changing the name of Pan Gai Noon Ryu to Uechi Ryu.
In 1942, Uechi Kanei, began to teach in Nago, Okinawa. This was
the first time Pan Gai Noon (now known as Uechi Ryu) was taught
in Okinawa. By 1944, the dojo was closed. Uechi Kanei and most of
his students were drafted to serve in the Japanese military. After
the war, Uechi Kanei returned to Okinawa and again began to teach.
In 1958, Uechi Kanei opened his dojo to the public, including American
Uechi Kanei contributed much to the style that became known as
Uechi Ryu. The original style consisted of three kata (Sanchin,
Seisan, Sanseiryu), arm pounding (kotekitae), and Chinese medicine.
During the late 1950's and early 60's, Uechi Kanei added five new
kata:Kanshiwa, Dainiseisan (Kanshu), Seichin, Seiryu and Kanchin.
He also added the supporting exercises (hojo undo), kyu and dan
promise fighting (yakusoku kumite), and the practical application
(bunkai) of Kanshiwa and Seisan.